Saturday, February 28, 2015


      It is Feb. 28th and spring  will be  here soon in Iowa.   I can't wait, just to see green grass and have leaves on the trees, but mostly to see what the previous owner has planted and what will be  growing. I have been told there is  asparagus, and rhubarb,  I  hope there is both.  I brought my Smooth Solomans Seal plant  from MN and planted it here last fall,  I hope it made it as  I am thinking it will need to be  moved  again to a more suitable spot.
     The above  pictures  are my choices  for a garden, the top on has a  fence line on the east and north sides and the bottom has  fence on the west and north sides.  Both are in the same pasture area one just faces east the other west. Both will have  direct sunlight.  I am thinking  the top area  is  my preference.   Now the next   issue will be  " how big".  Since this will be my first  garden I really think I need to start small and if things  go well expand in the years  to come.  
    I have been making lists of what I would like to plant,   sweet corn, pumpkins, potatoes, tomatoes , carrots , green beans, lettuce- greens ( there are packs  that have a  variety of seeds), onion, garlic,green pepper, and marigolds  around the edges to help  deter the neighborhood  deer !!  That seemed  to  have helped in Hastings. So I may have lofty  ideas,  but they are just that plans, ideas.

3 comments:

  1. Both spots look great. Are they close to a water source for irrigation in case you have to water? Your list looks an awful lot like mine. It will be fun to compare notes. Is your new garden zone 5? I will be jealous when you are in the dirt and I am still not.

    ReplyDelete
  2. There is a water source at east side of house, which is close, and also outside spigot at the cabin which you can see in the second picture, and I am a zone 5 A !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I remember going to Kansas in the early spring and it was brown and snowy when we left Minnesota and we got to Kansas the grass was green and the trees were budding and two days later Minnesota was still brown and dormant. I don't know if I ever knew what zone it was but it just amazed me that eight hours away it was a different season. I wondered if that was the cabin in the picture. Is that your creek to the right of it? Or a snow drift?

      Delete